All of us at For Love of a Dog find it hard to comprehend the devastation in Japan following the recent earthquake and tsunami. We've watched the video footage, viewed the photos, and read the stories, yet our minds still have a hard time believing what our eyes are seeing.
Animal rescue efforts continue and the local rescue groups will soon be joined by international organizations.
We've already told you about the coalition Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue. You can follow their updates on their Facebook page and donate via the widget on this blog. Animal Rescue Kansai is the other major organization taking in homeless animals. We continue to search for good places to make our donations count. Here's what we've found so far:
- Animal Refuge Kansai - ARK is accepting as many animals as possible who have been made homeless due to the earthquake. Any donations given now will be used for the animals displaced by this disaster.
- Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support - a coalition of three groups: HEART-Tokushima, Animal Garden Niigata, and Japan Cat Network. They are providing rescue, shelter, vet care, and support of animals in crisis. They are also coordinating animal rescue efforts. You can donate here, as well as follow them on Facebook where they give frequent reports of animal rescue efforts in Japan.
- HEART Tokushima - a part of the JEARS coalition
- Animal Friends Niigata - a part of the JEARS coalition
- Japan Cat Network - a part of the JEARS coalition that also updates their web site with reports of rescue efforts.
- International Fund for Animal Welfare - will be sending emergency teams.
- Humane Society International - will be sending emergency teams and aid.
- World Vets International Aid for Animals - already on the ground in Japan with emergency response teams.
- Japanese Red Cross Society
- Crisis Response for Japan