The good folks at Evanger's Food For Dogs and Cats sent us a generous box of their products to sample:
- Grain-Free Meat Lover's Medley with Rabbit Dry Food - combines rabbit, beef, and pork with fruits and vegetables. No corn, no wheat, no soy. Gluten free; no artificial color or flavor
- Low Grain Whitefish and Sweet Potato Formula Dry Food - a great alternative to a chicken based diet
- Pheasant and Brown Rice Formula Dry Food - another alternative for dogs with chicken allergies and contains probiotics, flaxseed and Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. No corn, no wheat, no soy
- Whole Chicken Thighs - packed by hand - canned food.
- 100% Organic Cooked Chicken - canned food
- Chicken and Rice Dinner - canned food
- Cooked Chicken - canned food
- Organic Chicken with Fruits and Vegetables Jerky Treats
- Beef Liver Treat for Dogs and Cats - dried treats
|Jeffie and Rudy take a close look at Evanger's pet food products.|
Here's how we conducted the taste tests. Dry kibble was hand fed as a treat. Canned food was rationed and a small amount was added to their regular dry kibble. Treats were given as treats - though not nearly often enough to fully satisfy the boys.
Every single product passed the taste testers with flying colors! Bottom line: 8 paws up for Evanger's. Favorite products were the canned foods, though the dogs definitely loved everything.
|Evanger's Dried Beef Liver Treats|
|The boys didn't want to pose for photos; they wanted TREATS!|
- Made in the United States by a family owned and operated company since 1935.
- Free of harmful additives and preservatives
- No soy, corn, wheat or by-products
- Human grade ingredients
- Every single product smelled good and looked good to the humans. (However, we did have to watch out for bones in the chicken thighs; cans do contain an appropriate warning)
- Competitively priced for premium organic pet food
- A VERY wide selection of food and treats: beef, chicken, fish, lamb and more. Many recipes for pets with special needs.
In fact, he felt so strongly about it that he built a canning factory on his family farm so he could make a quality pet food. Even back then, Evanger's dog food was free of additives and preservatives. In fact, he used crops and livestock raised on the family farm.
In 2003, Evanger's was the first pet food company to create pet food packed by hand instead of machine by putting whole pieces of fresh meat and vegetables into the cans.
You read that right. Open a can of Evanger's and you'll immediately recognize the ingredients. Yes, that's real shredded, pulled (organic) chicken. OMD! those are chicken drumsticks, alright!
|Cans include a warning about bones; we picked out two.|
In addition, many of their recipes are created especially for dogs with special diet needs: food allergies, low fat diet, gluten free, sensitive stomach, irritable bowel syndrome and more. They also have a large line of Kosher Kosher pet food products, as well as healthy selections for cats.
I should note that I found no evidence of any recalls for Evanger's pet food products, however, there were some issues with the USFDA in early 2011 regarding misbranding of ingredients, none of which constituted a health or safety issue.
Bottom line: We're pleased to recommend Evanger's dog food and dog treats!