Today is National Dog Day. This holiday is dedicated to celebrating dogs and the essential role they play in our lives.
Founded in 2004 by pet lifestyle expert and author Colleen Paige, National Dog Day was created to honor dogs and give them a special day to show appreciation for our long connection to each other, for their endearing patience, unquestioning loyalty, for their work, their capacity for love and their ability to impact our lives every day in the most miraculous ways.
National Dog Day is also a day to bring attention to the many dogs that are in shelters and rescues waiting for a forever home. One of the best ways to celebrate this special day is by adopting a dog from a shelter or rescue.
My own shelter dogs, Jeffie and Rosie, encourage you to adopt your next best friend from an animal shelter or rescue. In fact, your local shelter may be celebrating National Dog Day with reduced adoption fees. Can't adopt right now? Please consider donating to your local shelter. Even $5 can mean a lot!
Rudy may not be a shelter dog, but he's got some good ideas to celebrate National Dog Day:
- Donate blankets, pet food and toys to your local shelter or rescue.
- Visit your local animal shelter and take a shelter dog for a walk.
- Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and gas chambers in your state.
- Order a dog shaped flower arrangement from 1-800-Flowers.com and enjoy a 10% discount by using the code GOODLIVING when you place your order.
- Help an ill or elderly friend or neighbor by walking their dog.
- Buy your dog a fun new dog toy.
- Have a little party for your dog with treats, toys and extra cuddles.
Happy National Dog Day
from all of us at
Talking Dogs and For Love of a Dog Jewelry!